This project looks at food production and climate crisis, in terms of how the food system as a whole contributed to 26-37% of total greenhouse gas emissions and it is projected to be increased by 30-40% in 30 years time. So, as a collective and individuals, what if we rethink the way we produce and consume our food?
Spirulina (blue-green alga), believed to have been a staple for the Aztecs, is one of the most nutritious food on the planet—it is a plant-based source of complete protein.
Spirulina Health Benefits
• Boosts energy and increases endurance for athletes
Fresh vs Dried
There are 2 forms of Spirulina: dried and fresh. The fresh form is far more superior because it is completely unprocessed as opposed to the dried form. It is still alive and contains enzymes our body needs to absorb nutrients, so the dried one is basically dead and cannot compete with the fresh one on the nutritional values. While dried Spirulina has a strong fishy flavour/smell which might not be pleasant for some, fresh Spirulina is odourless and has a mild flavour. Moreover, some people experienced side effects when consumed dried Spirulina because of the heavy metals contamination that is quite common when it comes to growing outdoor in a large open pond environment.
Spirulina Cultivation Benefits
• Cost-effective and affordable
• Can easily be grown indoors
• Only requires a small amount of water and space
• Very efficient with its ability to grow at speed, by performing photosynthesis, it can be harvested daily (under the optimal condition)
Why Grow Spirulina at Home?
• A wide variety of health benefits of fresh Spirulina
• Reduce carbon emissions and waste
• Save money and resources (water and land use)
• Control what goes into the system to avoid contamination (toxic chemicals/heavy metals)
• The aspect of self-sufficiency can lead to empowerment and gaining greater agency
In this pandemic era, eating nutritious food is vital. Domestic Spirulina cultivation could enhance better physical/mental health:
Tackle malnutrition = Improve the immune system = More virus resistant bodies = Decrease risk
*The approach of making the design open and using only single material (PLA) and method of production (3D printing) is mainly that this approach enables us to shift away from mass-production model and use the distributed model where it focuses on the movement of data (CAD files) and the use of local material supply chains.
Why Use Spirulina Society's Products?
The tools were designed for specific purposes to help smoothen the domestic Spirulina cultivation experience. The adaptability of the design encourages the ease of use with local or repurposed vases and containers.
Now it's time to learn more about the cultivation tools!